Skip to main content
international students


We warmly welcome international students from all over the world and greatly value their contribution to the Australian education community and to the international aviation industry. The Academy has trained students from many overseas destinations including India, China, Bangladesh, Fiji, Philipines, UAE and Malaysia.


Studying in Melbourne

Voted the world’s most livable city for the 6th consecutive year - It’s not hard to see why over 175,000 international Student’s choose to study in Melbourne each year. Ranked second only to Paris as the world’s most popular destination for international students. Melbourne prides itself on its quality of living, social inclusion and diversity.


A modern and sophisticated city with Australia’s biggest sporting and cultural scenes. Melbourne offers a truly unique education experience including;


  • Exciting festivals year round
  • The best shops and restaurants in Australia
  • Events for everyone throughout the year
  • World-renowned sports events
  • A relaxed and cosmopolitan lifestyle


Find out more about things to do in Melbourne or visit the Study Melbourne site for information about student life Melbourne.

Information for Students


  • Pre-course assessment
  • Age 18 years
  • English language requirements (see below)

Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) sets a minimum standard of general English language proficiency. Students require an English Language score from any of the following:


IELTS - 5.5 (General Training Module)

TOEFL - 71 (Internet Based Test)

TOEFL - 197 (Computer Based Exam)

TOEFL - 530 (paper Based)

TOEIC - 650 (Test of English for International Communications).


International students whose first language is not English are required to have an IELTS score of at least 5.5 per band or an equivalent proficiency per band. For further information please visit the General English Test Criteria.


Complete our contact form to enquire about a course. Our friendly staff will sed you an Information Pack and enrollment form.


Students must submit the following documents with thier application:

• CASA Aviation Reference Number Application;

• CASA aviation medical certificate;

• High school / college graduation certificate;

• English test results;

• Identification page of passport


Overseas Students Applicants

Overseas applicants will either be self-funded or sponsored by a parent or airline. They will need to be able to study a full time course load and support themselves and their children in Australia in order to meet VISA conditions. Overseas students studying in Australia require a student visa from the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection.


Sponsoring airlines will usually assist with VISA processing after enrolment is confirmed. For more information visit or the countries’ nearest Australian Embassy or Consulate. Students will need a medical examination by an immigration approved doctor before a student visa will be approved. The sponsoring airline is to ensure that all cadets have valid travel documents acceptable to the DIPB and have medical certificates as required by the CASA. The application for the CASA Aviation Reference Number (ARN) is to be made by cadets prior to departure of their home country. Quality education and consumer protection for overseas students is protected via the ESOS framework and they include the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2007. For more information please access these links:


Yes. Before you can begin flight training you must undergo a medical conducted by a CASA approved medical practitioner. See the table below for the medical certificate required for your course:


Which Medical certificate do I need?
License Certificate Validity
CPL Class 1 1
PPL Class 2 4


For further information please see the CASA website

Detailed cost breakdowns can be found on our Courses page

The following are estimates of flight time required for each licence. Frequency of flying, learning rate and commitment to study will determine the overall time it will take to obtain a licence


• RPL will take a minimum of 25 Hrs flight time

• PPL will take a minimum of 40 Hrs flight time 

• CPL will take a minimum of 200 Hrs flight time


The commercial pilot course can take anywhere between 12-24 months to complete depending on your learning rate and frequency of flying.

The Academy's international team is able to assist students by introducing homestay and other accommodation options.

A Subclass 500 Student Visa is available for the following courses:


• AVI40108 Certificate IV in Aviation (Commercial Pilot Aeroplane Licence) CRICOS Code 080122E

• AVI50408 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Flight Operations) CRICOS Code: 065685F

• AVI50510 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor) CRICOS Code: 089493E

Do you have a Question?

Get in touch and find out if Flight Training at Amber International Aviation Academy is right for you